Saturday, February 16, 2013

Brain Tumor

For a while now I've been having headaches I went to the doctor and he gave me a prescription but it didn't help---then one day at work the pain was so bad I couldn't stop vomiting so I went back to the doctor and he gave me another prescription to try a few days later I woke up at 4:00 AM with a horrible headache---I talked to my doctor's office several times that day and the doctor decided I should have a CT Scan the following day. At about 8:00 PM I couldn't take it anymore I called the doctor on call and explained that I was about to slit my wrists I just couldn't take the pain any longer he told me to come in to the nearest ER. Of course the ER was full of poor people suffering from the flu after a few hours I saw a doctor who explained that he was going to do a CT scan but it would be a waste of time and that it wouldn't show anything--an hour later the doctor was explaining how an ambulance would now be taking me to a hospital that specialized in Neurosurgery.
The ambulance ride made me nauseous but they were able to give me a chewable tablet that helped. When we got to the hospital they had no empty rooms available so I stayed in the ER for a day and a half. I had no idea I would be staying when I went to the emergency room--so I brought nothing luckily I did leave my wedding ring at home. I went to the emergency room Monday night--Thursday morning they operated for 10 hours to remove a very large brain tumor. The tumor had eaten through my skull so the doctors had to add some titanium mesh to cover the piece of my skull that's now missing. The tumor had also consumed an artery in my brain--the doctors felt that after 10 hours of surgery it was too risky to try and split an artery. When I woke up I was completely disoriented and tried to pull my breathing tube out I had restraints on my arms and the nurse was quick to come help me--but I still bruised the heck out of my left arm.
My sister Day came from New York, and she and my darling husband were with me the entire time. It was a huge help--I was on steroids to keep the swelling down and they kept me wired---starving--and grumpy. The nurses were all super nice, very patient and kind.


No comments: